Sunday, October 22, 2006

A New Name and a White Stone

You all know that my niece died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. Lisa had some pretty tough struggles. She was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and diabetes along with numerous other physical maladies. She also struggled in her soul with questions of worth and significance and had some mental disorders that were difficult for us to understand and treatment was hit and miss. And so, although her death was unexpected and painful to the family, it was also a release at the same time, because she has a brand new existence, and is totally healed of all of her health issues.

But back in the days of her struggles, an artist in her church gave her a painted white stone, with a cross painted on it. It was just a small stone that might be used as a paperweight.

My sister showed me that stone while I was there in Calgary. We wondered out loud what the significance of that white stone might be. And it came to me immediately.

In Revelation 2:17 Jesus is addressing one of the seven churches. He says,
”He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.”


I am learning that there are a couple of theories about the white stone.

http://www.lookingforlewiscarroll.com/whitestone.pdf
http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermon.asp?SermonID=72835 (the author of this sermon injects his errant theological views to 'colour' his research about the white stone.)

A comment here:
‘The Romans of New Testament times had a token of hospitality between two friends, which consisted of a tile of wood or stone, which was divided in half. Each person wrote his name on one of the two pieces, and then exchanged that piece with the other person. These were often kept and handed down from father to son. To produce the counterpart of one of these pieces would guarantee the hospitality of a real friend’

Against this identification, though, is the fact that Revelation does not mention stones being swapped, only that one is given. However, it does fit in well with the idea of being granted to eat of the hidden manna in the previous clause of the verse.

To eat with someone in the context of Biblical times was to enter in to a covenant relationship with them. Hence I Cor 11:20-22 - a love feast/communion meal was a time of sharing with one another and thus entering into covenant relationship with each other through Christ and because of Christ.

Similarly, that Jesus permits those in Pergamum to partake (Revelation only says ‘give’ without indicating consumption, however) of the hidden manna would indicate that they become united in covenant relationship through their participation in Him (who is the true manna - see above).

Each participant, Jesus regards as a special guest and a white stone is given upon which a name is written given to Him by God (see, for instance, Is 62:2, 65:15) to allow Him to enter freely into that great and final banquet (Rev 19:7, Mtw 22:1-14).
http://home.clara.net/arlev/pergamum.htm#14

The white stone, as far as we can tell, had two meanings. One was that a white stone was used as a vote of acquittal. A vote for NOT GUILTY!

If you received a black stone, it meant you are guilty. If a black stone was cast in a decision, it was a vote of guilt. In fact, it is probable this is where the expression "to be black-balled" comes from.

The other meaning was that the white stone was a token of admission. If you were invited to a feast, you may receive a white stone, which you would show the porter as you enter the hall or the place of the feast.

In either case, the meaning is precious. I want to track down sources on this theme, and hope to revisit this topic with more research.

The new name generally signifies a new destiny. Although I don't think many people heard about it, at the memorial service we took that white stone and placed it in the hands of Lisa in the coffin, as a powerful symbol to the family, and a statement to the principalities and powers that she belongs to the Lord and none other. She has been acquitted of all of her sins, and she has a glorious new destiny!

And that is a tremendous comfort.

PS. If any of my readers find interesting sources of info or legend about The White Stone, please share them with me. I would be most interested in seeing your information.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

That white stone and the significance of the scripture in Revelation was truly a gift and comfort from God at the very moment you spoke it. I will never forget it and will treasure the memory always. As I share this incident with others it's becoming a powerful source of comfort to others as well. God's hand is in everything, I see it so clearly.

Becky said...

Dad, I was doing some research the other day on fairy tales, specifically Hansel and Gretel. I always wonder why the authors include certain little details, like Hansel leaving a trail of white pebbles. I ran across this footnote at SurLaLune Fairy Tales, where they have annotated fairy tale texts.

15. White pebbles: Pebbles symbolize justice. In ancient Greece, a vote with a white pebble indicated that the voter thought the suspect was not guilty. White pebbles have also been used as gravesite gifts to ensure rebirth of the spirit (Olderr 1986).

Slim said...

Awesome! Thanks.

Ruth said...

Hey I just had a thought about the white pebbles as well. When Hannah and Bernie were in Germany they visited one of the sites of a concentration camps and the Jewish grave sites had white pebbles strewn on them .
That might go along with what Rebecca said about gravesite gifts.
Interesting stuff. Very symbolic.

TiffKei said...

Thank you so very much for this wonderful post. And I am so glad that you found some comfort in your neices white stone.

I really don't know about the white stone. But I do know that when I first read this, the "new name" statement reminded me of Abram and Sarai.

When we accept Christ into our lifes, we become new people. Many people in the bible recieved new names. I think this passage tells us that we too can recieve new names in the eyes of the Lord.

I now pray that the Lord would change me so completely and make me so His that I, too, would be worthy of a new name.

Wee Monsters Play Systems said...

Great post. I was given a new name last year in my time with my King- "SHABA" it just came and was written as I was writing in my journal. I do not know hebrew but I looked it up after I wrote it and it means complete-to 7 oneself-oath. This was a very important moment for me and today I was looking for this verse about the stone and the new name to post in my blog and ran across your blog. Good stuff! God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this... We have an "Ebenezer Jar" where we place a rock as a memorial stone to signify God's bringing us thus far and providing for us in a time of need. After much turmoil in the past 2 years, God provided and answered a very big request. I ran out to the back yard and prayed that God would give me a special stone to put in our jar. I couldn't find a single one! I combed the whole back yard, and finally in plain view and perfect size to fit in our jar was a pure white stone resting on dark mulch. I knew it was for me and I placed it in the jar. It was not until a few weeks ago that I came upon Rev. 2:17. I've been trying to figure out what it means, and I think I'm getting the picture. Thanks for this post!

Eli said...

The White Stone is the hidden manna aka monoatomic gold and many other names that they ancients used but only by Egyptian Priest and Hierarchy aka Moses and the Children of Israel/Exodus. The new name is the transfiguration or new purpose. Like when Jesus gave new a name to Simon/Peter.